Friday, July 07, 2023

Near Ha'penny bridge, and clouds building up over the city

We had a lot of thundery clouds yesterday, and thundery downpours. But I was cosy in the Starbucks on the quays neary Ha'penny bridge. There was a few of us there, sketching and chatting and enjoying the afternoon.

I started with a direct watercolour of the scene in front of my eyes. I'm always amazed at how many trees there are on the quays on the northside of the Liffey. At that stage, the clouds were interesting, but not dramatic. As the afternoon wore on, the clouds became more and more spectacular. I got quite excited about them, but started painting them too dark (I'm now in the process of adding gouache on top - it's not an improvement!).

I also sketched some of the people who were walking by. Literally had a split second, so used the Frankenstein method of sketching people - a head, then someone else's shoulders, a third person's arm, an accessory or two from another passerby, etc. All great fun!

Really enjoyed the whole afternoon, including meeting up at the Morrison hotel, which is very posh! Must go there for coffee some day!









Here is how these clouds looked on location, before I added tons of gouache and layers and layers of Neocolor II!!





No comments:

Post a Comment