Friday, July 28, 2023

Morning clouds over the bay - inspired by Killiney Bay

Another wet-in-wet soft sky that inspired me to paint an Irish landscape. I loved how my wet in wet washes had worked out, Raw Sienna Light, Horizon Blue, Ultramarine Deep and Burnt Umber. But it wasn't enough to make a painting. So I looked through my folder of photos of Irish landscapes and I found a photo I took at Killiney Beach in December 2018. I flipped it horizontally to fit the soft wash I had painted. I strengthened the golden colour with more Raw Sienna Light and Hansa Yellow Deep. I added a thick wash for the rocks and the hills. I lifted a thin line on the horizon. And it was done. I love the warm feeling of the sun behind winter clouds.




2 comments:

  1. Can nearly see Stevie swimming through those breakers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's early enough in the morning that he would definitely be there!

      Delete