Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Next Project - The Curves of Sandycove - Or The Curse of Sandycove?

OK, for this one, I think I will have to show you the photo I'm working from. So this is Sandycove, in South County Dublin. A beautiful little beach near the Forty Foot swimming place and the James Joyce Tower (Think snot green sea and Ulysses). So I took this photo earlier this year. After the lockdown. We were finally allowed to travel a little further within our county. And it was clearly still too cold to bring children to the beach. And I used the crazy wide angle on my camera. Which I love - it enables me to capture everything everything!


And now, tell me honestly, am I biting more than I can chew?

But you know what, I don't care. If I don't push myself, I will never learn. Every time I draw or paint is part of the journey.  

So, you'll find below my first explorations. I generally just go for it first. Then I have something to work from, to critique, to understand what areas I need to pay attention to. That's not a bad way of working for me. Because I'm not good at thinking about it in my head without anything on paper.

And by the way, I'm not the first artist who loves this view.  John Short is a famous Dublin artist and he's hard to beat for these seaside views! Well, I'm not trying to beat him. Obviously. But I can learn from him! Check out this link for his take on the view: https://localwiki.org/dl/Sandycove_Harbour

And if you go to his website, scroll down and have a look at those cockatoos!! https://www.johnshort.art/artworks/original-paintings-drawings/ Aren't they gorgeous!!





No comments:

Post a Comment