Sunday, September 13, 2020

A visit to Kasugai

Some days, the location for sketching doesn't suit me, or I don't have the energy to drive across the city. But I still want to explore techniques or ideas. I don't like sketching from photos, but the idea of the #virtualsketch has been explored by many sketchers during lockdowns all around the world. And since we can't travel, it's a nice way to dream, if only for an hour!

This house is somewhere in Kasugai, a suburb of Nagoya. My good friend Shinobu lives in this area and I'm planning to use Google Maps to virtual sketch around there during the winter or if further restrictions are introduced in Dublin.

When you're travelling by train in Japan, it often looks like urban planners didn't do a very good job. Houses are tucked in everywhere, in an industrial landscape with little greenery. But when you explore on foot, you will find many beautiful houses hidden behind walls, with only a glimpse of their manicured trees. And the ever-present electricity poles and cables criss-crossing the landscape. Because it's easier to repair faults after an earthquake if the cables are above ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment