Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Blind contour drawing

New Year, new art. I hope you're all starting the new year with a light heart and a clear head.

As for me, I'm starting the 30Faces/30Days challenge on Sktchy.
Thankfully, they're going easy on us all (over 800 people enrolled!) today, and the 1st tip/exercise was a blind contour drawing! No pressure!!
The model on Sktchy was Trevor 19, a man with glasses whose photo was taken from a low position, making for challenging angles.

Here is how it went for me:

The first attempt, I did completely blind, i.e. I didn't look at the page at all.


For the following versions, I allowed myself to look at the page when my pencil needed to change direction, and I even did two drawings where I concentrated on parts of the face I was thinking would be hard to draw - the nose/eye/glasses combination, and the ear - ears are so interesting!!

And if you're wondering about the one on the top left, well, Sumi, our 5-and-a-half-month-old kitten, decided to plant his claws in my thigh, just to remind me that I was neglecting in my duty to entertain him. In the last month or so, he has got better at the planting-the-claws-in-the-leg thing, but last night, he literally jumped and hung from the back of my legs for a very painful second or two. I don't think I have ever used so much Savlon in my life. Sumi is very different from Willow, that's for sure. But he is starting to settle, and he's now asleep on the futon beside my desk, and will probably remain there for as long as I am at the computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment