Monday, January 06, 2020

Rathmines church from the canal

Normally, we stop sketching over the Christmas holidays, but this year, I really needed to get out, and the dates worked out and the weather obliged, so we managed to fit in an extra Dublin Sketchers outing! We went to the canal near Rathmines bridge and Portobello. Yes, it got cold after a while, but the light was amazing and it was so worth it!

And I'm really starting to like the portrait format in my Moleskine sketchbook. On the first sketch, I had to split the view into three sketches, as there was no way I was going to be able to paint the rushes in the foreground without making a mess of the houses. Plus it was three different things that caught my eye really: 1: the dome of Rathmines church, which dominates the whole neighbourhood; 2: the rushes by the canal and their delicate plumes; and 3: the trees lining the canal and the bare branches, which already bear the buds that will pop into leaf in a month or so. Can't wait!


For this second spread, I had to get up and warm up, so I crossed the bridge and I was struck by the golden light, but most of all, by all the brake lights - that road is always so busy! And then it was time for a hot chocolate with all the trimmings!


No comments:

Post a Comment