Saturday, January 04, 2020

Sktchy portrait

Embarking on my next adventures - portraits have never really been my thing. Through lack of skill more than any other reason, really. But I heard about 30 faces/30 days on Sktchy, a course with a different tip every day for 30 days, with 6 different teachers. And it was too good an opportunity to pass, despite January being a busy month. I might not get to do much watercolour work this month, but that's been the general trend for me in the last 3 months anyway, due to the presence of our wonderful kitten Sumi who likes to jump on everything, including desks with paint and brushes and water! He is starting to settle at long last. But I have to choose my moments if I want to play with acrylics!! Now if we can only get Timber and himself in the same room ...
So there was an introduction video by France Van Stone, a famous American-French Sktchy portrait artist, also known as Wagonized, with 4 useful tips. I watched the video first, then I watched it again and drew along. Frankly, I don't think I would have been able to draw this on my own, but following the video and drawing at the same time was a good way to learn, as I am no expert at drawing faces, nor cross-hatching.

The portrait is unfinished, as she ran out of time. I decided not to venture any further on my own, as I knew I would struggle and probably make a mess of it. That unfinished look works out quite well anyway, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment