Monday, January 13, 2020

Adding a glaze


I really need to get back to watercolours. It's amazing how I feel I have lost fluency in this medium. I am learning other skills, which I'm sure will be useful in the long run, but there are only so many hours in a day, and I miss the joy of pigments mixing on the page!
Sumi is becoming quieter but he still has super-active periods, and I can't have watercolour paper, paint, brushes or water on the desk at those times. You can actually see on this painting a scratch on the left-hand side, left by Sumi when he jumped on the desk. It wasn't my most successful painting, thankfully! So I'm using it now to practise with ideas I am finding on John Lovett's website. The idea I used here was the use of overglazing to guide the eye through a painting. So I glazed with Lavender on the left-hand side to tone down and Quinacridone Gold on the right to brighten up the area. Quin Gold is perfect for glazing as it's so transparent. Lavender maybe not so much due to its opacity. But, hey, I had nothing to lose!! I wonder could I push it further?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:56 pm

    My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things
    out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking at your web page again.

    ReplyDelete