Tuesday, December 31, 2019

From photo vs from life

Celebrating 4000 posts on my blog today, by the way! There are days when I wonder why I continue, I don't even know if people read this. But it's my way of keeping track, of my life, of my art, of my thoughts! So if you're reading this, thank you.

Anyways. There is this on-going debate in the art world - Art from photos or from life? Which is better? Which is more deserving? Which is more arty? I don't have the answers. Being an urban sketcher and a life drawer, I lean towards drawing and painting from life always. There is more energy, more passion. I have to be in the moment 100%. It's also more of a challenge. Is drawing from a photo even art? Surely, I have the photo there, and it's better than anything I can draw? But when it comes to watercolours, I tend to work from photos I've taken (unless I'm working plein air, which I would love to do more of, but wet and windy weather doesn't agree with easels and watercolour layers). And I'm just about to embark on my next challenge - 30 faces/30 days on Sktchy Art School, which is all about drawing from photos. And the artists who are leading this challenge are amazing. And they draw from photos. And what they draw is definitely better than the original photo. So where do I stand on all this? I really don't know. It's all part of the journey. To set aside my preconceived ideas. And enjoy the ride!

So, I thought I'd leave you with a good example of what I'm talking about. Sumi, our very own box of frogs. Which do you think represents him best, and how he is most of the time, and how I feel about him? But which is the drawing that looks more like a cat?

From a photo:

From life:

No comments:

Post a Comment