Friday, December 13, 2019

Corner of Hume Street and Ely Place

December and still sketching outdoors. That's the contradiction of living in Ireland. Some days are cold, but sunny and dry and not windy and it's actually ok to sketch outside. Other days are mild, wet and windy and feel colder.
It's three years since I've started sketching the destruction and construction work on the old Hume Street Hospital. This time, I sketched it from the corner outside rather than the cosy window sill inside the RHA. Because of my back, I was using a wheelie, and I knew I would have to leave it at the reception desk (they don't even have lockers), and that would defeat the purpose. 
As soon as the sun turned behind the corner, it felt so cold, and I had to abandon my position and go to the café for a warming cup of tea. Maybe it was for the better, stopping me from overworking my sketch


I was glad I had a second sketchbook in my wheelie, as the direct watercolour cups took forever to dry (even indoors). So I decided to practise cars. I couldn't finish the one in the forefront, as a man sat right in front of me. Again, maybe that was for the best.
Lots of cars clamped in the area, as it's disk parking even on a Sunday in that little cul-de-sac, whereas it's Monday to Saturday just around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment