Friday, October 06, 2017

The Atlantic - Watercolour and Ink abstract

After a small start, I decided to explore the same themes, methods and colours, but adding ink this time. The result is not exactly what I had in mind (although, god knows what I had in mind - I wanted to paint a feeling of the Atlantic ocean, rather than a representation of it!), but it was interesting to see how the ink interacted with the damp paper.

This first one was on a fairly large watercolour sheet (about A3). I used a big Japanese-style brush, and I loved how much paint it carried!


Here is a detail from the above painting. I think I like the detail better than the whole


I like this one better  - the watercolour paper I used was not as vibrant (it seems to absorb the paint and make it duller - it was an impulse buy in Venice last year) but it is an interesting format, which works well for abstract landscape painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment