Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Botanic Gardens

Still a lot of flowers in bloom in Dublin's Botanic Gardens last Sunday week.  I was so glad that we were sketching there - I never like to let a year go by without a visit to the Botanic Gardens, but I was cutting it fine this time. I must try and get there again before the year is out!



We were just one day before ex-hurricane Ophelia hit Ireland, but you wouldn't have known. It was a lovely calm day - actually the morning was glorious, but by the time I got there it was 2pm and it was getting a bit grey. Still, I was able to finish my sketch before the drizzle turned to heavy drizzle. Mmm. I wonder does the Irish language have more words for rain than English? Anything between "It's a soft day, thank God" and "It's raining cats and dogs"? And yes, I can confirm that "il pleut comme vache qui pisse" is an actual French expression!

And I had time to have a look at part of the "Sculpture in Context" exhibition, in the space above the cafeteria. Interesting that hares are a common subject for painting and sculpture, but not rabbits, don't you think?

I believe my hare is thinking "does my bum look big in this?".










And if you're curious as to how little drawing I do before I start to paint, here is a photo I took there.
And PS: yes, I painted it all on the spot. Since colour is the most important thing for me, I try to paint on site as much as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment