Tuesday, May 23, 2017

National Drawing Day - The Chapel Royal, Dublin Castle

A lovely hour spent at the Chapel Royal in Dublin Castle - It was National Drawing Day, and the OPW had opened the doors to the Chapel for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. It's not normally accessible, unless you're on a guided tour. So it was extra special to be able to sketch there!
I was a little early, so I started with an outside sketch, choosing a spot where I could retreat in case of rain. And it did rain, quite heavily actually, so I was glad of my little bit of planning!

What I didn't plan, however, was my page layout.  Yes, I am one of these people that start sketching from what catches my eye and then see how far I can go, rather than planning the big shapes first, often ending up with not enough space on the page!

At 12 o'clock, I went into the chapel, and I was immediately overwhelmed by all the beauty and grandeur. When that happens, I tell myself "How do you eat an elephant? - One bite at a time!". So, I just sketched one window panel, and I kept adding, panel after panel. There was a lot more to that window, but what interested me was that shape. Plus I was getting hungry. But then, I moved towards the front of the chapel, and I looked up at the beautiful arches. So I picked up my pen again and did a quick sketch, squiggles more than drawing. It was hard on the neck, but worth the extra 10 minutes!
PS: I wasn't on my own. Lots of tourists were very happy to pick up a pencil and give it a go. I must find where the OPW have posted the photos of all the drawings! Can't wait to see what caught other people's eye!




No comments:

Post a Comment