Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Papunya II

I've been wanting to paint something along the lines of Papunya in the Wet ever since I saw that gorgeous painting on the web. I'm really glad I took a copy of it when I did, as the link is now dead.
It's a beautiful crushed strawberry red, and I love the dark swirls and the white dots. I want to do something similar, in a bigger format than my usual. I've just completed a small sample. It's worked out quite well, although my red is a lot darker, more blood than strawberry. And I've got it upside down! I printed the original a couple of weeks ago, and I cut it to size, and it must have felt more natural to me upside down. I never realised it until I went back to my post. Because my composition is not as balanced as the original painting, I'm going to keep it the way it is - it's a bit top-heavy but the white dots lighten it. If I turn it around, the white dots look crushed by the swirls.
What I enjoyed about painting it was building up the glazes. I used a mix of Liquitex Glazing Medium for transparency (it's glossy and transparent) and Slow-Dri Blending Medium to keep the acrylic paint open longer (so that my colours would blend smoothly). This is a recommended combination from Cheap Joes, and it worked quite well.

I'll move on to the larger size canvas board this weekend, and will keep you posted on my progress

No comments:

Post a Comment