Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Maldivian Sunset

Remember my poor attempts at rendering all the glory of a Maldivian sunset in watercolours?

Well, I keep trying. After 2 colourful, but ultimately failed, attempts this weekend, I finally got something that's on the right track. We're not quite there yet, but we're on the way - fewer colours, no mud, no square clouds (OK - the one problem is no reflections in the water - I'm on a learning journey, and I've got plenty of time!).
I'm also discovering what paper works best for me. This was painted on dry Arches Rough watercolor block. That's where I get the grain of the paper showing through, in quite an abstract interpretation. The colours mixed into each other but didn't go wildly gliding around the page like they would on smoother paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment