Tuesday, July 07, 2009

3 Tomatoes on a Plate

I did read a couple of books during our holiday, but I also found time for a bit of drawing and painting. Nothing much to write home about, but I like my "3 Tomatoes on a Plate", although they are a little bit paler than I would like.


As always, I brought my favourite holiday watercolours, a small box of Derwent Aquatone watercolour pencils (and a deep scarlet red from Faber Castell). I find they're all I need - the blues and yellows are perfect for holiday colours. And the pure red complements the set perfectly. I also bring a small block of watercolour paper, so I don't have to worry about stretching, a few brushes and a small palette.


I drew the tomatoes free-hand, and I painted them first (I generally paint the background first), adding shading and highlights before I tackled the plate and background. When it came to choosing the background colour, all I had to do was look at the tablecloth on the table - it was such a sunny colour, it was perfect for the job. We ate those lovely tomatoes the next day, so I had to be quick. It was all done in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment