Saturday, May 02, 2009

Lake Tekapo

I have now applied more slow-dri blending medium with white paint, and applied over the existing snow. It looks much more convincing, and I think I'm done with this painting.

Although the mountains are a lot darker in the acrylic version than in the watercolour one, they don't dominate the landscape as much, as I have a much bigger sky, which balances the composition better, I think. And I like my strong colours, if I may say so myself.

The only problem with the Liquitex slow-dri blending medium I'm using is that it's glossy, so the painting is quite shiny. Not good enough for framing, but a very useful exercise all the same. I must find out if they do a medium that's not quite as glossy.

I'm tempted to have another go at this painting, using watercolours again, and trying out some pouring techniques I'm reading about in "How to Make a Watercolor Paint Itself", by Nita Engle (quite an inspirational book, with very clear explanations)

No comments:

Post a Comment