Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bistro One

With the weekend in Belgium and everything, I forgot to tell you about our evening out with Padraig and Mary a few weeks back. 

We went out to Bistro One, and had a lovely lovely meal. We were welcomed with a glass of pink champagne, followed by foie gras and toast (Mark, Bistro One's owner, ever attentive, made sure I got wheat-free bread for mine!). Everybody was happy with their starters - Mary had the soup, Padraig had an asparagus special (the season for asparagus is so short that I now feel I should have gone for the same myself), Brendan chose the prawn risotto, and I went for the liver and bacon (maybe a bit too wintery for this time of the year, but I do love liver)

Main courses were enjoyed by all - Brendan: fish & chips, Mary: steak, Padraig & myself: smoked fish haddock and mash with a poached egg on top.

And of course we had to have desert - Mary and Brendan chose the chocolate fondant (which is to die for, trust me), Padraig had rice pudding and rhubarb (if I remember correctly) and I went for the pavlova (but avoided the cream).

There was a good atmostphere around the place and we ate our food at a leisurely pace. We then drove down (at or below the speed limit, it will be noted) to the Millhouse for a drink (of orange juice in my case, of course).

Really enjoyed the food and the company. Must do it again before the summer is over.  (By the way - we are enjoying a few days of sunshine - there is a big high pressure over Ireland, and it looks like we will have sunny and warm weather for the bank holiday weekend. Though I have to admit I'm not that gone on sitting out in the sun - I got carried away last weekend, and got my back badly burnt. 5 days later, and it's still red in places. I'll probably start peeling soon. It is a pity to stay indoors when the weather is so glorious, but I find it hard to read in the sun, and I can't paint either. Maybe I should take my pencils out and do a bit of drawing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment