Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Art Class

After my failed attempt at painting my crystal vase with blue pebbles at the first class I went to, the 2 teachers and I decided we would be better off moving to something easier for me, so I could learn the techniques on subjects that were within my reach.

So, Moya brought an apple, banana and satsuma from her kitchen, and got me started. Des decided I should just turn over the illustration board I had used for the crystal vase. Moya did the broad outlines of the drawing for me, and told me to start painting the general colours. I did a bit of yellow for the banana, but it was too bright for my liking and I moved on to the satsuma, and got the colour spot on. I felt encouraged by this and moved back to the banana, then the apple. It's only a first layer, but I was much happier with the result. I felt I was getting the colours I wanted, and the 2 hours went really quickly

The only thing that's not right is the size of the apple. I think it's way too big. So I've manipulated it in Photoshop Elements and I'll bring a printout with me to the next class. I hope that Moya and Des agree with reducing the size of the apple, rather than making everything else bigger, because that would be a lot more work. I also made the banana thicker. I thought it looked too skinny.
What I'm interested in learning now is how to add to the original layer to bring the painting to life.




No comments:

Post a Comment