Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lake Tekapo

Today, I brought 5 of my paintings to the framers. It took me a long time to pick the ones I wanted done. I've already got 3 watercolours framed - a poppy, a lilly and my "When Philip Met Isabella" abstract. These go back a couple of years now. So it was time to get some of my newer ones framed. I can't believe it's more than 2 years since I painted my red poppy! I haven't painted that many good ones since then, really.

I've just finished a watercolour of Lake Tekapo, one of the places we visited in New Zealand. I don't think it will make it to my gallery of framed works. But I've learned plenty in the process. For instance how to use a white candle to apply a white resist that looks just like snow. And how to paint little fir trees with a dry brush technique. And I'm quite happy with my sky, though it looks nothing like the photograph. The mountains and golden hill are not so good. I'm now going to try a collage + acrylic version of the same subject, and maybe come back to watercolours again after that.












No comments:

Post a Comment