Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tempus Fugit

Amazing, as you get past your twenties (and then some), how time seems to go so fast. Weekends in particular. There are so many things on my mental to-do list, and it's already 5:30 on Sunday evening, so I'm going to have to make choices - will I write a few more posts for my blog, watch an episode of Brother and Sisters, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, will I do a bit of painting, will I go for a walk? OK, the walk is out - it's starting to rain, and it's cool enough.

I read somewhere that the reason why time goes quicker as you get older is because it's all relative to how many years you've lived. A set period of time is a bigger fraction of your life when you're ten than when you're 40, so it feels longer. Say, a year is a tenth of your life when you're 10, but only a fortieth when you're 40. And it's half you're life when you're 2, and that's why it would feel like a very long time if you're 2.

At least, I don't suffer from Sunday evening blues any more. Come 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, I used to get into work mode, getting things organised, trying a bit of yoga to soothe the nerves, preparing my clothes for the morning, and starting to think about what I would have to face on the Monday - Susan and Malcolm being the two dreaded individuals, with their unrealistic expectations, mad plans, and sarcastic comments. Now, my main worry is whether to get up before 7 to go to the gym or not!

Mmm, I think I'll pick up my paint brushes and see what I can do to fix my problems with Lake Tekapo 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment