Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lake Tekapo - collage and acrylics

My last watercolour attempt was a bit too wishy washy, so I decided to try out the same subject in acrylics.

And since I've just finished reading a book on collage, I've incorporated some collage elements into it. I printed a black and white version of the photo and cut out the mountains, and painted over them with acrylics. I've used a slow-dri medium so I could gouge some of the relief with a wooden stick. And I printed a colour version of it and cut out the trees in the middle ground, and painted over them, with a dry-brush technique.

I'm very happy with my water in the foreground (it also uses a retardant, which gives it a lovely gloss) and how the colours are vibrant, but what the photo doesn't show is the mess I've made of the snow and the sky since then. If you never hear about this painting, well, you'll know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment