Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

On the way back from Australia last year, we watched Le Scaphandre et le Papillon, a French film about Jean-Dominique Bauby, editor of Elle, who suffered from Locked In Syndrome after a massive stroke. The movie really touched my heart. So I was delighted when Mary gave me the loan of the book, in its English translation. It's not a long book, but it gripped me from start to finish. Although it is very sad, the whole philosophy behind it is that as long as your brain is working, you can get a lot out of life. Your imagination can carry you through the warm skies, just like a butterfly, and you should make the most out of life, even if all you can do is blink one eyelid. A good one to read whenever you're feeling sorry for yourself!

The next book I'm going to read now is a book on the art of collage that Brendan got me for Christmas. I need a bit of inspiration. I have started another version of the crystal vase with blue pebbles, but I feel I'm a bit stuck for ideas as to how to take it into another direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment