Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bowl with Blue Pebbles

I guess I've never completed a painting so quickly. Well, that's acrylics for you. I started applying paint yesterday afternoon, and my Waterford Crystal vase is all done already. I've called it Bowl with Blue Pebbles. Unlike watercolours, acrylics dries really quickly, which means you don't need to wait for hours before you can paint the next section. There were times last night and this afternoon when I thought it would be a disaster - the green was too green and dull, the blue pebbles didn't shine, the ribbons looked too solid, the vase reflection was the wrong shape (it still is!).

But I love the colours of it. And it does look like a crystal vase with light shining through. I need to learn how to to put in details more accurately. I'm a bit slapdash, really. It's the same with my drawings - I don't do neat precise drawings. I don't have the patience. Maybe the good thing about watercolours is that the waiting forces me to think things through, plan the next step, choose the right colour, draw an exact shape... But it was fun to run with my instincts, even if it looked completely dull at times. The result is warm and dynamic, if I may say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment