Saturday, March 21, 2009

Satay House

While I'm talking food, I should mention this delicious Malaysian restaurant Brendan found near our hotel, in Paddington, Satay House

We wanted something near the hotel, so Brendan did the research and found Satay House just around the corner. We didn't have a reservation, and had to wait half an hour for a table. Thankfully, there were a few nice pubs nearby, all busy with an early-evening crowd.

For starters, we had the traditional Satay, and the not-so-traditional Begedil. Well, we'd certainly never heard of it. It's a potato and lamb cake. Sounds heavy? It's not! It's the lightest and fluffiest potato cake I've ever had. With a simple chilli sauce, it was a gorgeous dish.

For my main course, I had a Nasi Lemak, a rice dish with shrimp, egg, cucumber, peanuts and crunchy white bait anchovies. A perfect mix of textures. And the beauty for me is that it came all separate on the plate, and I had the pleasure of mixing it all up, a pleasure I could not resist! Very hot, but very tasty. I can't remember the name of Brendan's dish. It was a chicken in a hot chilli sauce - very very very hot. It was OK if you just stuck to the chicken, but it would have been too much for me.

And then, as if we were not full enough, we had a Bubur Pulut Hitam, glutinous black rice pudding with coconut and sugar. Their version of rice pudding. Very comforting.

(You may be wondering how I can remember what I had here, when I could not remember what I had in Malabar. It's just that I checked out the menu on their website this time.)

There was a great buzz about the place, it being Paddy's day and all - or maybe not, as Malaysian families seemed to be flooding the place, along with British and Irish staff from the nearby hospital, a French couple, a couple of tourists, and a lone businessman, who could not separate from his Blackberry and his Financial Times, as he slurped his food.

We don't get to eat Malaysian very often, as LangKawi near Waterloo Road is not what it used to be, so Satay House was an extra bonus for our mini-break.

No comments:

Post a Comment