Sunday, August 13, 2023

Colour swatches, and the necessity of organisation

Swatching colours for my next painting. I'm looking for warm and cool greys and granulating pigments. But was finding that I couldn't get strong darks with what I was mixing. So explored other mixes. But that's too different. And I want this painting to express peace and harmony. More exploring to do!



I wasted so much time looking for tubes of paints that I had swatched a while back and wanted to experiment with for this painting. I have my paints in two boxes - warm colours and cool colours.  But some of these tubes were under two layers of other tubes. Re-organisation was needed.

So now, I have 6 boxes: blues, yellows and earth tones, reds and violets and browns, greens, neutrals, blacks. They are spread over two drawers in my little Ikea unit. It's still not perfect, as the boxes don't quite fit in the drawers and they overlap slightly. Maybe I'll empty another drawer of "things I don't use but might need some day" and I will see all my tubes at one glance?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment