Friday, August 04, 2023

At Coliemore Harbour

We've had such a grey and wet and cold summer, you'd think we're on a different planet from the rest of Europe! But I did grab a sunny morning to go and paint at Coliemore Harbour with Aideen.  While she was working her magic at the easel and went home with an almost-finished painting, I captured some impressions that I might use in the studio at some stage. There was a lot of clouds in the sky but the sun was shining onto the island, highlighting quite a bit of the grass and rocks, which I could see quite clearly, even at that distance. I didn't get to paint the harbour and its fauna, swimmers, fishermen, tourists getting onto the small boat to go to the island for a while. 

I'm looking out my window now, and all I see is grey and rain. It's hard to keep that sunny morning in my mind's eye!

 


A bigger view of each of the two pages




I had more time and looked at more detail of the shoreline and the sky



I had started with a drawing, but the light was so amazing that I abandoned it, as I wanted to capture the changing patterns in the clouds and the sea! And of course I painted on the back of that page, so it probably will remain as is. It's such a wide view that a standard quarter sheet doesn't do it justice anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment