Wednesday, June 01, 2022

The sea at Clogher beach

Lots of sketching these days, not so much painting. But I am a lot more focused about what I want to paint, so that makes it easier. Sea and sky is really all I want to paint. Preferably from the West of Ireland, although it's nearly two years since we headed to Kerry. I would love to spend more time in Kerry, on the Dingle peninsula. There's really very few places on earth that I would rather be. Coumeenoole beach, Clogher beach. If that was all I could see for the rest of my days, I would be happy. I need to think about that, maybe a trip off-season, when the waves are at their best!

So I'm working from a photo I took on that holiday. I just love how the waves crash on the rocks at Clogher beach, with the Sleeping Giant (one of the Blasket islands) in the distance. I tried to add some people on the beach, but they were a distraction. All I want is the sea, the sky, the rocks, the waves.

I added a bit of gouache with a small palette knife, but I want to explore how to work only with watercolours for the waves and foam, working with a softer approach. It's good to be obsessing about what I love again. It doesn't mean that next week I won't be obsessing about something else, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment