Monday, June 27, 2022

Lille in 35 sketches - Part 2

Day 2, Friday

I was so excited about the day ahead that I woke up really early. I didn't want to wake Brendan, so I slipped behind the curtain and sketched the roofs as seen from the window. I wish I'd had more time to do a watercolour. All the red tiles and bricks in different shades would be wonderful in a colour version. 

Maybe it'll be an excuse to go back. It's when I think about it that I wish I lived on the Continent. Lille would be a perfect location. Half an hour from Bruxelles Midi via TGV, 45 minutes from Paris, the TGV to the South of France, the EuroStar to London. No need for airports and the hassle associated with them.



But anyways, onto breakfast at the Okko Hotel. Lovely spread. Real green tea, options of still or sparkling water refills any time of the day, real yogurt not out of a plastic pot (and soft drinks and slices of cake too in the afternoon). And a great view. Again, another excuse to go back!



For our first day, we decided to sketch at the back of the cathedral, Notre Dame de la Treille. A strange façade. Lots of quirky roofs, brickwork and old-style aerials.







Time for a catch-up with fellow-sketchers and a refreshing drink before we move on.









Lunch Marché aux Oignons - tomatoes are so amazing in France! Lunch with Brendan and Amélie, followed by more sketching. 










Onto the Médiathèque to buy badge from USk Lille, get my sketchbook stamped, chat to a few people and sketch some more.





Utopia and the belfry (or one of them anyway) - quick sketches with pencil while Brendan is chatting with Michael.






A drink with Brendan at our favourite terrace, the Coq Hardi. (Yes, I know it's only Day 2, but we already have a favourite.)


And another drink near the cathedral, before Brendan and I head to Rouge Barre, a fantastic restaurant. The rain has arrived and we get a taxi back to our hotel using FreeNow, the same taxi app we have in Dublin.




A few photos from the day


















2 comments:

  1. Lille looks and sounds amazing...I want to live there too.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we're really old, let's go and live there!!

      Delete