Saturday, March 12, 2022

Montséret wasn't built in a day

I sketched and wrote this a few weeks ago. How the world has changed. #peaceforukraine #stoppputin

It's not big (just a little under a quarter sheet), but I do like how this looks. It didn't happen by magic. As you've seen in my previous post, I do think about my composition, values and colours a lot. I don't paint something pretty out of the blue. And yes, it takes many attempts before I get close to something I am happy with. And then, I can drive past that sweet spot and never get to it again! 
This was painted on Langton paper, based on a photo I took in the Corbières when the light turns golden before sunset. 
And I am learning to paint from composition thumbnails rather than from a photo. So I was able to literally move mountains to help the composition.
I've never been a fan of Emerald Green (must check the pigment number!), but mixed with PR122, it makes wonderful darks, and with cadmium yellow medium, really vibrant greens. 

 
Here it is with everything that's led to it, composition thumbnail, watercolour sketches and lots of notes.

More notes


And this is the composition thumbnail I worked on this week. It's a bit meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment