Wednesday, December 15, 2021

On a Christmas theme

I'm still in procrastination mode. So this #7daysofchristmassketching challenge set by Federica and Art Discount was just what I needed when I got back from Belgium - bite-sized art, the subject chosen by Federica each day, so I didn't even have to think of what to draw, and a good excuse to sketch happy things!

At this stage, you know I never present things in the order in which they were done - hey, I still have lots of sketches of pumpkins and autumn leaves in store for you! So let's get started with my favourite of the lot.

This is Bill, or Ben. I never know which. Except the other twin is a girl, so we should really think about renaming them. Every year, when they would come down from the attic, Timber used to look at them longingly as we sat them on the window sill above his bed. He was hoping we would give them to him as a Christmas present. Maybe we should have. Now he's not here anymore and it was a bit sad to take them out of their box. But they do bring joy. And the memory of Timber. Nearly a year since he's gone.




This one was done in 5 minutes, with markers on a blank greetings card. There were a few failed attempts.


The Christmas tree - we haven't done a Christmas tree since we got Timber. Too much chaos. And I don't think we will again. So I picked a photo from a visit to the Botanic Gardens a few years ago for my Christmas tree interpretation. And I got to practise what I learned with Uma Kelkar last week, using warm and cool greens to create a sense of space!


The Christmas self-portrait. I wore my Christmas scarf - I don't do Christmas jumpers, too much consumerist waste, but I have a scarf with reindeer patterns from Costelloe+Costelloe that I pull out of the wardrobe in December every year! Self-portraits are always serious! Drawing in ink first, then added colour.





Christmas food. No turkey and ham yet. But I did buy my cranberries, and it was good to practise round shiny fruit. I'm not good with this illusion of 3D. Nor am I good at cooking. So my role on Christmas day is fairly minor!



The last theme was open - so I chose the small maple tree in our front yard and the lovely Christmas lights we put in it in early December. It brings joy to my heart every year. Particularly in these dark days of the pandemic, where celebrations are cancelled, plans are changed and my world becomes very small. But I am grateful for art, friends and these happy lights that remind me of happier times. May this tree bring light to your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment