Thursday, November 17, 2022

Saints and Demons

I haven't been able to sketch with my friends from Dublin Sketchers in quite a few weeks now. And I needed to get my teeth into a good scene in order to feel the vibe again. So I went to Palace Street, near the entrance to Dublin Castle, and I felt I had the perfect spot to observe the Olympia theatre on the other side of the street, the buses which are a constant feature (and make it hard to see what you're trying to sketch), and the corner of the AIB bank just across from me, with the two ladies who were standing there with their leaflets. 

As the theme of our journey is Saints and Demons, my location got me thinking, about which is which. And also about the politics of today around the world, where there is a constant swing back and forth between right and left, but also a strong pull towards extremism. It feels like democracy is under threat like never before. And if we lose our basic freedoms, it won't matter if it's left or right. It will just be wrong.





No comments:

Post a Comment