Thursday, November 24, 2022

Christ Church

I'm hopping back and forth between the top of Dame Street and Thomas Street. Every time I discover more architectural and historical details that appeal to me. Or sometimes I just like how a shadow falls, or the jumble of angles in front of my eyes.

I don't think I will sketch the whole of Christ Church. It's too big and too complex. But on this occasion, I found a good vantage point standing outside the Bull & Castle pub. It wasn't open, and they have barrels/tables outside, behind a glass partition, so it was the perfect spot to stand, without being in the middle of the crowds on the footpath.

I'm still doing Liz Steel's On Location online course, so this was a perfect opportunity to try out shade and cast shadow, of which there was actually very little as the sun was shining from the South East, lighting a good bit of what was in front of me!

And found it interesting that the stone surrounding the windows is a Caen stone. One of these little gems that we discover when chatting with fellow sketchers who know a lot more about architecture and stone masonry than I do! I had already painted the yellow before that conversation, and now I look at my sketch and it makes me happy.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment