Saturday, January 02, 2021

Abandoned house under the grey sky

 Here is another one where I should have done my homework before I started painting! 

This abandoned house is near the Blasket Interpretive Centre in Dunquin. A sad reminder of the rural depopulation in Ireland. It reminds me of Eoin McLoughlin's exhibition a few years ago, called Diaspora - the sadness of all the abandoned fireplaces in derelict houses. 

And even sadder than the derelict houses is all the houses that are only occupied during the summer. But hey, I can't complain, we stayed a week in a beautiful rented house in Dunquin in September, with fantastic views and all mod cons. And we're seriously thinking of going there again as soon as the current restrictions are lifted and we can travel around the country again!


The version above, with all its flaws, is still a big improvement on my first layer. Yes, I had to scrub the whole ugly sky, and add darks to the ground to convey the mood better.




No comments:

Post a Comment