Monday, July 08, 2019

Sky 90 degrees


This one is not procrastination, trust me. I wanted to explore how I could paint sky and water in one wash, so that the light in the sky reflects in the water in the right spot. So I painted with my Key West colours (Hansa Yellow Medium and Quinacridone Rose (PV19)) in broad horizontal stripes, and when the paint was dry, I turned the page around 90 degrees. And I then painted an imaginary tree line and reflections. I quite like it. But that's not going to work with distant lavender hills. Unless I'm careful and avoid painting over them. But that's going to kill the spontaneity, unless I use masking fluid or film. But I don't like masking - the result is always too contrived (well, for me anyway - some artists achieve amazing results with masking fluid). Let's think about it some more. But if I ever find myself in a tropical paradise, I'll know how to paint the sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment