Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Pancakes and tea


What was I saying about not sketching my food? Well, on this occasion, I was with pals from Dublin Sketchers, and I needed the food to stay warm. And those carrot and walnut pancakes (with lemon curd and bananas) were to die for. I quickly sketched them in watercolour pencil before digging in. The shapes were simple, except the plate. Ellipses are so hard. I know the theory and all, but drawing them free-hand is another matter altogether.
I didn't give much thought to the arrangement of the elements on the page - I was getting cold and when I get cold (or hungry), I can't think of anything else. I did get absorbed in the teapot, though. But when I had the plate, the cup and the teapot done, it was a bit disjointed. So I picked up my fountain pen and drew other bits and pieces that were on the table. And it kind-of tied it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment