Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Mushrooms and garlic

Although we've only just had our first Olives, Oysters and Oranges sketchwalk, I've been drawing and painting on the theme of Ulysses for a few months already. I'm not sticking strictly to the script, i.e. more of my sketches are about places and feelings than about food, but I keep finding connections that excite me all the same. I am fascinated that Joyce refers to vegetarianism and animal welfare in this book that was written a century ago! And I am also really interested in Leopold Bloom's sense of otherness and longing for acceptance into Irish society. But that's another day's work!

As we get organic vegetable deliveries occasionally, I've started to sketch our day-to-day veggies. The last time I did this, it was aubergine, courgette and red pepper, which are probably the only three vegetables that don't get a mention in Ulysses. I was wiser this week, and checked the text before I sketched!!


'How they change the venue when it’s not what they like. Ask you do you like mushrooms because she once knew a gentleman who.'
Now innocent me just found the meaning of 'dirty mushroom' in the urban dictionary!! Or worse, 'The mushroom'!! Mmmm. I'm not sure I wanted to know!!



'After all there’s a lot in that vegetarian fine flavour of things from the earth garlic of course it stinks after Italian organgrinders crisp of onions mushrooms truffles. Pain to the animal too. Pluck and draw fowl. Wretched brutes there at the cattlemarket waiting for the poleaxe to split their skulls open.'

No comments:

Post a Comment