Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Drawing as a meditation

Do you find it hard to meditate? Like things come into your head the whole time and you end up frustrated because you're supposed to 'empty your mind'?
Like all good things, meditation requires practise. And it's worth it. I know. My blood pressure drops 10 points after a 3-minute mindfulness meditation.
But I'm not always in the mood. Or the dog comes over to lick my face to make sure I'm OK.
I go through phases in life. And I'm generally well organised. But at times, there is this swirl in my head that I can't control. It makes me grumpy, anxious. And sad.

I have my own way to beat the blues. To forget the crazy world that's falling apart. To ignore the pile of paper that's growing in my office. To find peace. To be happy.
I don't drink (much). I don't do drugs. Yes, a good weekly yoga class helps immensely. And a walk on the beach with the dog. And snuggling up on the sofa and watching Netflix with my husband.

But what always works for me also fulfils a creative yearning that's been in me for a long time.
So what do I do?
I Sketch. I Draw. I Paint. Every day. Even if it's only for 5 minutes.
And when I do, it's like time stops. Or stretches forever. I become completely absorbed. I forget the to-do lists, the tidying, the schedules, the demands on my time. I feel free. It's just me and the line running on the page, the colours that blend together.

So pick up a pencil, a pen or a brush. Let your inner artist come out. Look outside the window, really look, and draw what's in front of you. Or sketch your cup of tea. Don't worry about the result. It's not about the result. You don't have to show it to anyone. It's just for you.



There are a lot of resources out there to inspire you. Tons of books on Amazon, videos on YouTube, inspiration on Pinterest. It can be overwhelming. For me, one of the books that resonated was The Creative License, Giving Yourself Permission to the be Artist you Truly Are, by Danny Gregory. It helped me realise that making art makes me happy, and it helped me remove the obstacles in my head. Or you could also join your local chapter of Urban Sketchers and go out on location to see the world, one drawing at a time! Or stay in the comfort of your own home. There are no rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment