Monday, April 15, 2019

HX

I think I will submit a painting for our Dublin Sketchers exhibition at the Harold's Cross festival.
I've done a few versions - that's often the way I work in watercolours - it takes me a few attempts to get closer to what I want. 

This is the one I'm happiest with. Based on sketches done on location and a few photos, I drew freehand with my Sailor Fude, then painted using some of my favourite pigments (Transparent Red Oxide, Monte Amiata Natural Sienna, Quin Rose (PV19), Moonglow, Ultramarine, Lavender, and of course Potters' Pink!). So I'm going to get it framed, along with two other watercolours of laneways that I painted in the last few months.

The first version lacked oomph, although I have to say I quite like this little cropped section of it!

And in this version, I made the lane too wide and the buildings' perspective was off. I would have kept it, but the thing that really got to me in the end was that the chimneys on the left were leaning, and that wasn't by design!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous Laneway and a great subject for an exhibition.. Dublin Laneways and throw in some Joyce!

    ReplyDelete