Thursday, July 23, 2015

Tara Hill, Ballymoney, Co. Wexford


  • Darks are Hooker's Green + indigo
  • Greens are cobalt blue + aureolin yellow (and a touch of burnt sienna in places)
  • The Sea is a lighter version of one of the greens
  • The Sky is cobalt blue
  • The clouds were lifted from the cobalt blue with kitchen paper
This is just a small little exploration of the theme, in preparation maybe for a larger painting. I've done a few thumbnail sketches, but I think I need to go back to the drawing board in terms of composition. This is how it looked, from half way up the hill, and the light was gorgeous, but I need to manipulate the shapes to give it a bit of oomph . 
  • First I need to decide on a "What" (a focal point) - I can't decide what I liked best about the view - the sky, the sea or the fields? Perfect candidate for trying three different versions!!
  • Second - manipulate tonal contrast better - the greatest contrast (light against dark) should be near my focal point
  • Finally, I would like to introduce more texture near my focal point - not sure how yet
Time to look back to one of my favourite art books: Powerful Watercolor Landscapes, by Catherine Gill.



No comments:

Post a Comment