Friday, July 24, 2015

Spot the difference

Spot the difference



I had been curious how John Lovett achieved this dreamy quality to his watercolours. I finally had the time to explore his techniques a little bit more (check the Techniques section on his website). The idea that interested me the most was how to apply a gouache wash over certain areas of a painting to push them into the background, therefore letting the focal point shine through.

I didn't want to ruin a shiny new painting, so I dug up a really old one (from 2011), Little House in the Prairie, and I applied a thin glaze of well-diluted gouache. I had to apply three glazes to get closer to the effect I wanted. 

I must also explore what John Lovett says about making soft edges for my Tara Hill watercolour - basically introduce some variety - not all hard edges or all wet in wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment