Sunday, February 15, 2015

Documented Life Project 2015 - Week 4

The art challenge for Week 4 is Writing, and the journal prompt is Words with Friends.

My handwriting is really bad, so I decided to work around this challenge rather than take it literally. I picked a special email from a friend of mine and glued fragments of it onto the page. I chose a page with an ugly background, as I had decided I was going to cover most of it! I can't bear to cover a nice background, although I'm going to have to face that challenge soon!

I added a layer of gesso and Neocolor II to cover most of the text of the email. I added flowers, stamps, doodles, cut circles (from a messy Gelli print). And I splattered golden acrylic paint over it all.

And then I did add some handwriting, as this is something I really need to explore and develop. I pencilled it in, having used a ruler to make sure my lines are straight and even. I then used a Faber-Castell PITT artist pen to fill in the letters. A bit chunky, but I'm committed to the journey! The words are from The Little Book of Calm. I probably won't find quotes that work for every journal prompt, but I'm determined to avoid the usual journaling platitudes (Peace, Love, Art,...)!

My ugly backgrounds:



Stamped flowers:


Cut circles from Gelli prints




A little doodle on a post-it that got incorporated. Originally, I was going to use my Roses watercolour as a tip-in, but then I changed my mind, but this quick drawing was already gessoed in, so it's staying there.


And here are the two facing pages. Not very structured, but apparently, that's the style!



No comments:

Post a Comment