Saturday, February 05, 2011

The King's Speech

I still have a good few movies to review. We seem to have taped a lot of films lately. It's cheap entertainment, and I'm not big into going out on the town anyway!

But last weekend, we made an exception and went to Movies @ Dundrum in the afternoon. The movie we picked was The King's Speech, with Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter. We had heard a lot about it of course, but didn't quite know what to expect. We both found it excellent!

An intimate portrait of the royal family, painted with compassion and humour. It's the story of a friendship, between King George the 6th and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue. I should really have picked a picture of the two men, but I thought this photo of Helena Bonham Carter playing the Queen Mother to perfection was so gorgeous that I had to use it. Actually, the photo I would have liked would have been a close-up of the peeling wallpaper in Logue's office, but I couldn't find one.

At this point, you probably all know what the story is about, so I won't bore you with the detail. All I'll say is that I found that it was a movie with great warmth and humanity. Not sure if I'd buy the DVD, but I'll certainly watch it again when it finally makes it to television one Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment