Monday, August 10, 2009

The White Tiger

I've just finished reading another book that Mary gave me the loan of - The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga. It was the winner of the 2008 Man Booker Prize. It's a story of rags to riches in India, but it's very much the dark side of Q&A - no happy ending, and no mister nice guy. Probably a lot more realistic about life in India, and what has to be done to work the system there. I thought it was really good - such a dark story from start to finish, but told with a very humorous voice. While I really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire, I felt that Q&A, on which the movie was based, was too formulaic, and I couldn't buy into the hero's life and luck. But I can well imagine a real "white tiger", working his way from the poverty of his small village, to the riches of Bangalore. It's quite chilling, but well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment