Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Best of Times

This book by Penny Vincenzi was loaned to me by Mary, like most of the books I've read this summer. Totally and utterly compulsive - I read the first 400 pages in a day. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it was a page turner. The ideal beach book - not too heavy (except in weight), but a gripping story, with lots of characters, whose lives become entertwined. It's not a Booker prize kind of book, but it was really entertaining -I might find another one of Ms Vincenzi's books next time I go on a beach holiday. Not that we went to the beach this summer - I read the first part of The Best of Times in our back garden on one of the few sunny days we had this summer (that's how it felt anyway - August wasn't too bad, we had a sunny day every 5 or 7 days. But there really wasn't a day this year when I felt like saying let's drop everything and go to the beach for the day).

No comments:

Post a Comment