Friday, January 09, 2009

What I loved

I'm still re-reading old books (by the way, thank you to Mary and Françoise for your book suggestions - I got some of these for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to reading them!).
I have just finished "What I loved" by Siri Hustvedt. And you know what, I'll hold on to it and will probably read it again in a few years time. It's set in New York and follows the lives of 2 couples and their sons. It's got a lot in it - separation, bereavement, disfunction, love, but what hooked me in this book is the art. One of the characters is an artist, and he creates these fascinating paintings and installations. Some of his installations are boxes with letters of the alphabet or numbers, others are a series of doors and what's behind those doors. It's very well described and it makes me want to see the actual pieces of art, as is they were real. And there is depth in each and every one of the people in the book. Which tugs at your heart when something happens to them.
Actually, I have another book by Siri Hustvedt, The Blindfold. I must re-read it too, and look out for others of her books.

Siri Hustvedt is married to Paul Auster, another author I'm planning to re-read, and she has a blog on migraines, which I'm going to have a look at now!

No comments:

Post a Comment