Saturday, January 03, 2009

More acrylics experiments

I'm not sure about these acrylics. On the one hand, they are great fun to work with, the colours are really vibrant, and there are all these different texture mediums you can play with. On the other hand, I feel like I'm learning the basics again, experimenting with paints rather than producing a proper painting. In some way, I feel they are a distraction, but they are so appealing it's hard to resist. They are definitely more immediate than watercolours - with watercolours, you need to plan a painting, whereas acrylics are more intuitive. But, I feel I need to plan paintings, rather than apply colours to canvas without much thought.

A real dilemma, all this.

But, let's not think too much about the pros and cons. What matters to me is the process, more than the end result. I've spent the last couple of days trying to copy paintings by Alice Teichert, in "The New Acrylics". Trying being the operative word here. First of all, nothing like the size of the original, and nothing like the talent of the artist. This is definitely a painting of two halves, with a very rough transition between the top and the bottom. Maybe I should cut it in two?

No comments:

Post a Comment