Thursday, January 08, 2009

Update on current projects

I've been pretty low on energy this week. I'm sleeping 10 hours a night, and I still don't feel like doing much. I guess I still have a bit of that cold, and we've been pretty busy workwise, too, and the weather has been cold, so that's my excuses anyway!

All that to say that I haven't done much on my current projects.

In acrylics, I have been trying this technique by which you paint acrylic gel medium over a photocopy of a picture, and you're supposed to be able to peel the paper off and have a clear acrylic sheet with the picture, but my attempts don't look great. If I peel too much of the paper, the ink comes off too, and the picture is muddy. And if I don't peel enough of the paper, the whole thing lacks transparency. I must try this some more. I can see how it could look great, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe the paper I use is too thin, or the ink isn't strong enough. I'm using a photocopy from my all-in-one printer, not from a big photocopier. Or maybe I should let the photocopy set for a day or so before I apply the acrylic medium to the paper? I need to research this on the web before I try it again, or I'll just lose patience with it.

And I'm also working on a watercolour. It's based on a gorgeous picture of yellow peppers that Brendan took at a farmers' market a few months ago. I've traced the picture, and I've applied masking fluid and I've tried out my colours, but I'm holding off from putting paint to paper. I want my peppers to really shine through and I'm worried they're going to look dull. So I'm putting it off. In the meantime, we've watched 6 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Which has been fun I have to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment