Saturday, January 17, 2009

Peppers

Here is the finished article. I am happy with the shading, and the fact that they look like peppers, i.e. they are 3-dimensional objects. The colours are a bit duller than I would have liked, but I thought that if I added any more glazes, I would make the painting muddy. I'm reading a book on colour theory, and I now realise that I don't have good yellows in my watercolour palette, despite having 6 different tubes. So, my oranges and greens don't come out as good as they should. Mind you, I'm pretty happy with my vanadium yellow from the Schmincke brand (PY184) - with Phthalo blue, it creates vibrant greens. Green is always a difficult colour, and one for which none of the ready-made mixes have the vibrancy and the freshness of a new spring leaf. I must now find the Hansa yellow mentioned in the book, just to see how good a green it gives. I went to the Art & Hobby store in Dundrum, but they don't have it. I must try Nimble Fingers in Stillorgan or, better, Kennedy's in Harcourt Street, next time I'm in town.




No comments:

Post a Comment