Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Flood

It's not often I come across a book that, from the first page, I know I'm going to love. David Maine's The Flood is one of those books. Now, don't be put out by the picture of David Maine in his blog - he looks a bit mad, but he writes a good yarn - that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

The Flood is about ... the Flood, who would have guessed. I'm not into biblical stories, but this is the story of Noah and his family, so it's a very human story, and God, while omnipresent, and definitely omnipotent, isn't too intrusive an influence in this book (if you set aside the fact that he is the cause of it all, and that he talks to Noe whenever the fancy takes him.).


Here is a little taster: "Noe glances toward the heavens, something he does a lot these days. Scanning for clouds. None visible amid the stars, so he finishes urinating, shakes himself dry and makes his way back to the house...

...Noe finishes the stew, sets the bowl aside, clears his throat. The wife recognizes this as a signal of forthcoming speech and offers her attention. Noe says, I must build a boat."

No comments:

Post a Comment